With the increase in the number of boutique facilities, and more off-the-shelf web based collaboration systems, work is being spit between vendors more frequently. Not just vendorA does chunkA, vendorB does chunkB. Assets, shots, and even single disciplines are being shared.
I'd like to hear thoughts on:
- What areas of work are more or less suited to sharing?
- How granular can you go? .. (create your own shots start to end, use another vendor's assets, share animation, share comp in the same sequence )
- How does it affect: time, money, quality?
- When to consider it, when not to, what type of shot?
- How is the process helped by web based tools?
- How do you overcome IP issues related to proprietary software and pipeline tools?
- In what way does being at separate companies differ from being a geographically distributed team of artists working under supervision of one company.
- Other thoughts, advantages, disadvantages, surprising gotchas...
I'd be interested to hear tales from experience and get some constructive input on how to make inter-facility collaboration work.
(it goes without saying this is a public place and you probably shouldn't mention vendors or individuals by name)